Monday, March 23, 2009

One week today

It was a week ago today that I had the surgery. I was laying in bed last night thankful that I am on this side of the surgery--I remember last Sunday night dreading it.

Tonight is the school musical that Riley is in. He is upset that we aren't there to watch it, which just makes me feel awful. If you see him there tonight, will you give him a hug for me? Of all the challenges this has caused, the issues with the kids are by far the hardest.

Mary asked about the shunt and why I have an incision in my stomach. Basically, the shunt is a long tube with a little gadget on it. The gadget is the bump on my head that regulates the flow of spinal fluid. From that gadget, on one end the tube goes into my brain where the spinal fluid is produced. The other side has the tube that runs down behind my ear, down my neck and chest and then drains into the abdominal cavity. Since the ns wanted to keep the shunts totally separate, he has the incision in the left side right below the bottom of my rib. The right side shunt has the incision right below where my ribs join--so quite a bit higher.

A small decision I have to make again is about my hair. I have three lengths--bald on the left, a little longer patch on the right side and then longer yet on the rest. Do I shave it again? Leave it? My impulse is to shave it--then it is all the same again and I don't have some hair going wild when I take off my hat. But a bald head isn't all that attractive. . .Drivers license picture, here I come!

No comments: