Saturday, February 4, 2012

Surgery today!

The neurosurgeon stopped by my room late last night and told me that they have now decided to schedule surgery today for 2:00!  What a rollercoaster ride!  We were expecting it sometime the beginning of next week, but I am very happy to be moving forward.  The doctors are very concerned about putting the tubing back into my abdomen because this is the third episode I have had with my abdomen causing problems with the shunt.  However, the next option is draining it into the jugular vein directly then into my heart which means that if I develop an infection it will be spread through my body very quickly.  They really don't like that, so we are going to try the abdomen once again. 

I am hoping this is a good decision, but they are just replacing the tubing from the anti-siphoning device by my collarbone and down.  Normally all the tubing is replaced but they decided since infection was not found that it would be safe to do this.  I am a little nervous, but it will be an easier surgery than replacing it from my head down and it will save my hair--although that is about the bottom of my priority list at this point!  :)

They predict that I will be released on Tuesday because they would like to do three days of anti-biotics following surgery.

Please pray that the surgery is successful, that my abdomen stays clear long term of infection, that there is no danger in replacing the tubing just from my neck and down and that I can just stay healthy for a longer while!  :)  Thanks!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

PRAYING FOR YOU, YOUR FAMILY AND THE SURGEONS. MAY THE LORD GUIDE THE DR.'S HAND. PRAYING YOUR DAD WILL GET BACK SOON AND SAFE ALSO. PRAYING
JIM & MARJ

Anonymous said...

We are praying for you and your family. We are praying every thing goes well with the surgury and you can return home soon with good results. Praying, Praying, Praying Harold & Bernice

Anonymous said...

You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers! Praying that God may grant the drs. the skill and knowledge to help you through this surgery.Jeff Susan and boys

Anonymous said...

Praying for you Cindy. You've been through quite the challenges since we saw you on Thursday night! Praying the surgery goes well in a couple hours! I hope you can come home soon.

Mary

Anonymous said...

I am praying for you Cindy as I type this! I pray the surgery goes well for you and that you will be spared any more complications/infections with the tubing in your stomach.
I continue to pray that you will feel the Lord's nearness/peace as you go through this very difficult trial in your life. May the Lord restore you.
With love,
~Karen

Anonymous said...

I am praying for you now during your surgery that God would guide the surgeons to do the exact right things for you and that you could have healing.
Love,
Twila

Anonymous said...

Praying surgery went well and that the infections stays at bay.
Take Care!!
Joyce

Anonymous said...

How did it all go? Thinking of you!!

Mary and Lyle

Anonymous said...

Wondering how the surgery went--Praying continually for you....Will wait "patiently" for news in church this am.