Thursday, May 14, 2009

neurosurgeon news

I spoke with the neurosurgeon today. He does think that the tubing may be causing the problem with the lower abdomen and is scheduling "surgery" to cut it shorter. I hesitate to call it surgery because it sounds like they can keep me awake, open up the incision between my ribs and pull out the tube. Then he will cut it short and sew me back up. Can't say I would want to watch, but sounds pretty simple. I like simple! He was open to me having it done locally, which I will check into, but my guess is that a local surgeon won't want to take this on.

He is going to have me try one more drug that is known to effectively treat the Intracranial Hypertension. Unfortunately, I took this drug once before at the very beginning of the headache treatments and was not able to tolerate the drug but I told him that I was more then willing to try again. I have taken so many thousands of dollars of drugs over the last few years since trying the drug, so I will give it another shot--maybe I will tolerate it a little better this time.

Finally, I asked him about consulting with a ns in Ohio that I have heard a little about. He suggested instead that I see this doctor to see if there is any additional work that can be done for me. The Ohio doctor reportedly has done some research into this disorder so perhaps he would have another idea. I am honestly reluctant to go to yet another doctor--I am so weary of all this. I have an appointment scheduled with this new doctor in July, though, so we will see. . .

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cindy,
I am glad to see the NS from Milwaulkee support you in seeing the NS from Ohio who specializes in IH. What can it hurt? I am all for 2nd opinions. This may be the doctor that has seen a case similar to yours since he specializes in IH. Keeping you in our prayers...
Joyce

my life said...

there are 2 wonderful expert chiari drs right here in Iowa . Dr. Arnold Menenez in Iowa city and Dr. Ralph Reeder at Cnos . why are you traveling all over ? Hope you get to feeling better soon.