Sunday, November 30, 2008

A sabbath blessing to you

I haven't written for a few days. Thursday and Friday the pain wasn't as strong then Saturday it was strong again and I'm not doing so great today either. It was a week of Thanksgiving and I know that I have much to be thankful for. At the same time, it is sad to miss Thanksgiving dinner with the family (Kyle & kids went to my in-laws) and not being able to participate in some of the traditions that we normally have at this time of the year. I missed a wedding last night and today my sister Renae had baby Jenna baptised. I missed it as well as the baptism of her last child, Alexa a little over a year ago. I want to be able to look at the blessings and gifts that I have been given but I am sad about the things I am missing and the memories that we aren't making with the kids. There are several programs the kids are in coming up that I so hope that I can attend!

In my studying for answers about Intracranial Hypertension (IH), I found that any type of physical exertion can cause the headaches to get much worse. That is actually a relief to me! I have been able to do so little and the smallest tasks leave me exhausted. When I was doing physical therapy it seemed as if I could do a small amount of things but if I pushed at all I would walk out with a nauseating headache that would last. The pt, with a kind smile, called my "exercises" a warm-up for the warm-up. It became very frustrating but now perhaps I have an explanation as to why I have been able to do so little. You do start playing mind games, wondering if you are truly just lazy and mentally hiding behind this or something. So I was relieved to hear that it was normal for this condition and not laziness on my part. I have normally always been the type of person that is on the go, always busy and rarely sitting down to just watch tv. This has been a dramatic change to my life in many ways, including that I can't do much but sit or lay all day.

The spinal tap, or lumbar puncture as the doctors call it, is scheduled for Tuesday. However, that is exactly 4 weeks to the day that I had the last one done. The neuro wanted me to have it 30 days later. I'm not sure if 2 days is a big deal but we are concerned that perhaps insurance will require being on the medication for 30 days without success before any other procedures can be performed. Of course, I am jumping to conclusions but just in case we are going to check to see if this is an issue. I desperately want to have it done right away but we may need to delay it for a couple days.

I pray that each of you will have a blessed Lords Day. The Lord has given Kyle and I the grace to endure this and He provides for us lovingly. A few have asked how I am hanging on and I have to say that I am not on my own. Some days are tough and some are not as bad, but I know that God has a plan for us and He is fully in control. Clinging to God's promises does not mean that I am a great Christian--I am a sinner that God has extended His grace to. Bible memorization is a wonderful thing that I am terrible at, but different verses run through my mind that are comforting. Right now I keep thinking about the verse, "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, to give you a future and a hope. (Jeremiah 29:11) God is good, all the time.

2 comments:

Carey said...

Hang in there, Sister!!

And you are NOT lazy. I know you know that but the mind games the devil plays. He plays dirty. I gotta tell you, it used to be that I wished I had your energy and capability to get things done! You were a mentor to me (and still are) in the field of a adoption, and I SO appreciate that.

Praying you can have the tap done Tuesday!

Anonymous said...

Cindy,

Glad to hear you had a couple of better days last week. Michele & Curt's wedding was beautiful. Their 3 girls sang "You are my All in All". The two Maddie's stood to talk at the reception and say how they were happy for their parents, etc. All the kids were so cute! Curt & Michele looked so happy!
I pray you will be able to have the spinal tap tomorrow but it is better to wait if the insurance will not cover it. You do not need the financial strain on top of everything else. Still praying...
Joyce