Thursday, December 8, 2011

Thursday

I saw the neurosurgeon this morning.  The test yesterday did not give clear direction.  The shunt is draining and it seemed to be working at a fairly normal rate which challenges their idea that the shunt is overdraining.  At one time they had hoped that I would no longer need the shunt and we would gradually work toward getting rid of it, but that doesn't seem to be the case.  However, there is also not a clear reason why I am struggling with my headaches again, either.

After telling me that my case is very complicated--not something I liked to hear from Johns Hopkins--they decided to do the in hospital spinal fluid monitoring test.  Never say never, because I said just a short time ago that I wouldn't do another spinal tap and now I will essentially be doing one for four or five days.  Not looking forward to that, but really hoping that this will give direction to the doctor.  Normally it takes 6-8 weeks to get this test scheduled, but thankfully their is an opening on Monday so we will be staying for the week and after the test they will determine what to do next. 

A friend (who used to live in our town) that lives near Baltimore has invited us to stay with her starting tomorrow and she will take us back here in time to be admitted Monday morning.  That will be a nice break from the hotel!  We are very thankful.

I am thankful that this doctor hasn't thrown up his hands (yet) and give up and thankful that the test is scheduled tomorrow.  I am a little blue about having to stay for a period of time yet and really  not looking forward to another hospital stay but we will take things one day at a time.  I am also very thankful that my mom has agreed to stay with me so the guys (my dad and Kyle) will be "baching" it for a while yet.  The doctor told us when we reschedule our return flight to leave the return date open since it is hard to say what steps may be taken next.

4 comments:

Carey said...

Oh, Cindy, I'm so sorry. I know you (and all of us!) had really hoped that this shunt problem was the answer. Praying for you!!! Take one day at a time. Or maybe even, one minute at a time.

"God is faithful, who has called you into fellowship with his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord." I Cor 1:9

Keep hanging on.

Dawn said...

Shoot. :/

I agree with Carey, God is faithful. Hold fast to that.

Still not giving up hope for answers!

Mary said...

Wow Cindy, I sure didn't think you'd be staying this long! We're never sure what God has in store. I'm glad you can stay at a friend in Baltimore. That is great! I'm so glad your Mom is with you too. We are all thinking of you and praying that the doctors are able to determine what is best next week. So thankful that God is overseeing everything and is in CONTROL!
Mary

Anonymous said...

Since Kyle was busy and I just "had to know" how you were doing, I checked your site. Glad to hear you had a good weekend away from the motel and with friends. Also very happy that your mom decided to stay with you this week! Praying this week's test show something/anything that will help the doctors decide what needs to be done to provide you with a more permanent type of relief!

Praying,praying,praying....

Joyce

PS - you do have great kids!! :)