Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Release day!

I really have to think about what day it is because so much has happened!  A week ago today is when I woke up with the severe pain in my abdomen.

After a short night of sleep and we will just say a lot of intensive work on getting my bowels functioning, today is looking like a pretty good day!  I am exhausted but happy to know that it looks like I will be going home today!  I was moved to a soft diet yesterday noon of pudding and toast, and the same for supper.  This morning he said that if I could eat breakfast, take a shower and tolerate oral pain meds, I can go home if I like this afternoon!  If not, tomorrow.  I am not one to turn down the opportunity to go home, so unless things turn dramatically I will be heading home later today.  What a blessing!  :) I often write that Psalm 121 is one of my favorites, and last night I was reading it again as I was feeling a bit miserable and what a comfort that the Lord promises to be with me through all of this!  I have accomplished the three requirements and think I will take a nap now to recover from the effort!

The dressings came off of the incision this morning.  It is looking a little better than Sunday I think.  It is a little longer than I initially thought.  The nurse said the incision is 8 inches long, so maybe four inches short of the last time (2 years ago with the infection).  It is full of staples and it looks like I took several punches to that area.  It is very black and blue and quite swollen.  The staples come out the beginning of next week.  I know that I won't be doing much the next few weeks.  I am learning, slowly but surely, to not be too proud to accept help from those who offer.  I am thankful for the kindness of others!

Finally, my room has been so bright and cheerful this time!  I received flowers from the SF group and three other wonderful, dear friends and family.  It is amazing what cheer and joy the beauty and scent of flowers can make in a quiet hospital room.  Thank you so, so much!  

I really do have so much to be thankful for!

No comments: