Monday, August 29, 2011

Monday

Well, we didn't have the best news to start out our week.  Tanner was at the podiatrist at 8:00 this morning and he has a broken bone in his foot.  They believe that it was a stress fracture and we are guessing that it may have happened already during soccer last spring.  He has been having pain in his foot all this time (yes, I am a bad, bad mom) but on Friday when he ran it swelled up badly and he could only walk on the edge of his foot very carefully.  The bone was broken all the way through and Kyle & I guess that it may have completely broken while running.  Tough kid.  He ran 2.5 miles (I think) with a broken foot and he was in the top 25%.  Makes me wonder how he might have done otherwise. But Cross Country is out now for the rest of the year.  His foot is in a boot and he is not to put any weight on it for the next 6-8 weeks.  He has decided already that crutches are not cool!  He is handling it well, though.  We had a discussion about how this stinks, but how it could be worse.  It can always be worse.  We are especially thankful that the bone remained aligned so he didn't need to have surgery.  Although he had quite a bit of pain this weekend, now that it is stabilized he isn't experiencing much pain, for which we are thankful.

We trust that the Lord continues to be faithful.  It seems like a lot has happened but the Lord does continue to provide in a variety of ways. I continue working diligently on finding a neurologist or neurosurgeon within a days drive that is willing to adjust my shunt in cooperation with Johns Hopkins.  That would ease the challenge with my shunts to a certain extent and would be such a blessing. 

1 comment:

Caryn said...

Remind him CONSTANTLY not to put pressure on it too soon! When I broke 3 of the 5 main bones in my foot (all at the same time) just before my sr yr of high school I was not bright (go figure) & put pressure on it as much as I could -- and ended up wearing the boot with crutches for almost 10 weeks - and it was torture...

Praying his foot heals well & quickly & that your appt goes well this week!