Tuesday, February 24, 2009

spinal tap done

The spinal tap went very well, but the pressure was a few points higher then last time--not a good sign! The dr wants me to have a ct scan and try a shunt adjustment first. Ct scan--easy. Shunt adjustment--more difficult b/c it can't be done locally. I still suspect a revision surgery but these are the steps to follow and maybe it will work.

Last night my mom had a neurosurgeon call her that is a distant relative! Wow! He works with these shunts a lot as well but lives in Missouri. Good news--this is normal. Bad news--this is normal and some people with shunts that have pseudotumor cerebri--which I have--have many surgeries. He said it is very difficult to place the shunt tubing because the ventricles are very small and tend to collapse.

I will write more later--I am flat in bed the rest of the day. This time I am obeying the doctor fully in hopes of not having spinal fluid leak from puncture. The person doing the spinal tap was reluctant to do it because the risks go up quite a bit from repeated punctures.

No comments: