Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Tuesday

I had the spinal tap this afternoon. I really hate having those done! The result came back with a pressure a little lower than the last time in February. That is odd in a way, although kind of what we expected. The reason that it is strange is that after the last reading the shunt setting was adjusted to increase the pressure a little bit, so the number should have been higher than the last time. It makes me wonder if the shunt pump is not working correctly.

I am waiting now for calls from the ns in SF & Milwaukee. I am hoping SF will adjust the shunt again, although he is the one that was so awful to me last time so we don't know what to expect. The ns in Milwaukee hopefully will call. I left a message explaining what has happened and questioning whether the shunt valve/pump could be faulty or what else could be causing this. Now it is a wait and see.

Since the spinal tap was at about 12:30 this afternoon, I will be laying down the rest of the day and praying that the puncture will seal so that I don't have additional leakage like last time which caused the headaches to be much worse. If it does leak, there is a procedure called a blood patch that they will do tomorrow in hopes of sealing the puncture. Hopefully that won't be necessary.

1 comment:

Mary and Lyle said...

Thinking of you and praying that everything will seal and that you won't have to have the patch done. I don't want those headaches increasing for you!! I'm praying that the ns in Sioux Falls will see you and maybe adjust the shunt! I'm really hoping that he will be understanding this time around!