Sunday, May 22, 2011

Sunday

I am sitting alone in my home reflecting as my family worships together with our church family. It is a lonely and sad thing to me, not to be able to worship together with God's people. I worship at home, listen to sermons while they are gone, read God's Word and pray, but it is never the same. I long for the day that I can enter the Lord's presence again in corporate worship of Him. Don't take it for granted! The freedom and privilege of going to God's house for worship is an awesome thing!

My headache seems to be not as bad the last few days, although it varies in intensity throughout the day and day by day. I can't find any rhyme or reason to it. I know that activity of almost any kind makes it worse but that is the only thing I can figure out. No activity in a home of six is nearly impossible. I can be completely inactive but the activity of others around me generates the stimulation that my brain just can't seem to handle. I notice that I am having some tremors, not so visible sometimes but another sign that my brain is not working the way it should.

I am going to end with a couple verses and a chapter that mean so much to me. Psalm 121 has been a favorite and one that I will often say to myself when I am being wheeled into surgery (and other times, of course!). I repeat it to myself until the anesthesia takes me away but it quiets my heart and gives me comfort particularly when I know that one small miscalculation while working in and around my brain can occur.

Psalm 121

I lift up my eyes to the hills. From where does my help come? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth.

He will not let your foot be moved, He who keeps you will not slumber. Behold, He who keeps Israel will neither slumber nor sleep.

The Lord is your keeper; the Lord is your shade on your right hand.

The sun shall not strike you by day, nor the moon by night.

The Lord will keep you from all evil; He will keep your life.

The Lord will keep your going out and your coming in from this time forth and forevermore.


Another of many comforting verses:

Psalm 138: 7-8

Though I walk in the midst of trouble, you preserve my life; You stretch out your hand against the wrath of my enemies, and your right hand delivers me.

The Lord will fulfill His purpose for me; your steadfast love, O Lord, endures forever. Do not forsake the work of your hands.


I have really liked Psalm 139 but those verses that end chapter 138 draw my attention time after time as well. My plan for my life certainly is not day after day home with often intense pain, but God does have a plan and I need to accept that. Not always so easy and I struggle greatly some days and weeks more than others, but a good reminder that my days are in His hands.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting those verses. They are great reminders of whom we belong to, body and soul. Praying daily...
Joyce

Caryn said...

So true! We just wanted you to know that we pray for you daily & we hope one day you may again worship with us as you are truly missed each week!

Your words are so true - its not always easy to accept God's plan instead of our own...and some days it is much harder to accept than others...but its a true comfort knowing He is always in control. If you ever run out of sermons just let us know - somehow I have a large stock pile of sermons on cd ;)