Saturday, December 6, 2008

doctor bio

I really have nothing new today, but I thought that I would paste in a bio that I found of my neurosurgeon for those that are interested. A few have expressed concern about doing a second surgery with my brain and have wondered about my doctor. He is a very impressive surgeon, but kind and compassionate as well. We are so thankful that he is my doctor! I just found this bio on the internet from 2006.

Dan S. Heffez, MD is a neurosurgeon in practice at the Milwaukee Neurological Institute in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Prior to relocating to Milwaukee, he was Associate Professor of Neurosurgery, Rush Presbyterian St. Luke’s Medical College, Associate Neurosurgeon Rush Presbyterian St. Luke’s Medical Center and director of the Chicago Institute of Neurosurgery and Neuroresearch Neurovascular Surgery Center. He came to the Institute in 1990 from the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, where he served as an assistant professor of neurosurgery and honed his expertise in the treatment of cerebrovascular disorders. Prior to his work at Johns Hopkins, Dr. Heffez held a Fogarty Research Fellowship at the National Institute of Neurological and Communicative Disorders and Stroke.
The recipient of many honors and awards including the prestigious Johns Hopkins School of Medicine Clinician Scientist Award, Dr. Heffez is highly regarded for his surgical skill as well as his research efforts to advance the understanding and treatment of Chiari malformation, cervical myelopathy and cerebral vasospasm. Experimental work initiated and performed by Dr. Heffez was the impetus for developing human fetal surgery for the correction of certain forms of spina bifida. Since 1994 he has been exploring the link between cervical myelopathy and the fibromyalgia syndrome.
Dr. Heffez holds memberships in numerous professional organizations including the American Association of neurological Surgeons, Cerebrovascular and Pediatric sections; Congress of Neurological Surgeons; and Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada.

1 comment:

my life said...

Cindy hi I am from Iowa too and was just curious why you went to Dr. Heffez . email me if you like Roz

I had surgery in Iowa