Monday, February 14, 2011

Two posts in one day!

Today has been interesting. My head has stayed about the same--not getting worse which is great, but not getting better which is a bit discouraging. At this point I am praying that this is just a bad headache. At worst, the shunt is malfunctioning and will need to be redone.

The local neurosurgeon is now off the list of possibilities. He told me today that he would not work on my shunts "unless I am dying." Well, I might get there if my shunts are malfunctioning but I'm not there yet! He took care of me with the infection because I would die without treatment. Otherwise, he told me that he just doesn't work with shunts unless it is a life or death situation. That being said, quality of life means nothing. Eventually if my shunts are not functioning, I may go blind and then I would die. I really don't want to let it go that far! :) On the bright side, I am glad that he was honest enough to say that he generally doesn't work with shunts except in an emergency situation because I would prefer to have a ns that has worked with situations like mine before and is comfortable with it.

We are waiting to hear from the neurosurgeon (ns) in Milwaukee again. I think so highly of him and hope that he may be willing to help me if I do need it. We also know of a ns in Los Angeles and another in Columbus, Ohio. Since I haven't had an appointment with either of them if I need a shunt surgery soon because of the current events they are probably not going to be an option since new ns's generally take time to get an appointment with, allow them to do their own tests and then proceed to the proper treatment. I originally had an appt with the doctor in Ohio but ended up being in the hospital for the infection during the time that it was scheduled. He was 1 1/2 months out at the time that I scheduled with him. If this is indeed a shunt malfunction I won't be able to wait 1.5 months. So tomorrow will be another telling day. We'll see how I am feeling. I know the Lord is directing my steps, so we will trust that He has a plan. Ironically, I had put the verse a couple posts down the night before this started. I had no idea that this was coming! The Lord was preparing me with words of comfort when I would need them. :)

No comments: