Tuesday, February 22, 2011

call came

This afternoon the neurosurgeon called. I have to admit that this stage of the game is always a bit discouraging to me. I do need to have a spinal tap--no wiggling out of that one! I am waiting now for it to be scheduled.

He reviewed the ct scans and is disappointed that the ventricle isn't puffed up at all. So either that means that my pressure isn't up or it means nothing. It seems very likely to me that the pressure is up because all of the signs are there, yet in a way I have a fear that isn't because if not I just don't know what I will do. True, I wouldn't have shunt surgery but then I don't have a "cure" or fix which scares me badly. Nothing like honesty but I am just writing how I am feeling right now.

Since the ventricle is so tiny, he doesn't think that he will succeed in getting the tubing into my brain this time. The next option in a lumbar shunt which is placed in the lower spine/spinal cord. That is not a good option for me because a lumbar shunt is known to gradually cause chiari, so they are definitely not recommended for chiari patients, which I am. The doctor had considered this option previously when I had the surgery putting the left shunt in. When I went into surgery he had determined to try to get it in the left side as the best option, but if it didn't work he was going to place the lumbar shunt. He was happy about getting it in my brain last time and reluctant to go now to a lumbar shunt.

So the news is disheartening. I know that God is in control and nothing happens outside of His will for my life. I trust Him and know that He has a plan for me. Right now I wish that plan wasn't quite so painful or difficult.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cindy- So sorry to read of more serious headaches.. praying for you and yours. Millie

Mary and Lyle said...

Praying for you so much. It's hard to know exactly how to pray. Right now I'm just praying that the headache gets SIGNIFICANTLY better so that nothing has to be done. I hate this in-between ground for you too. But, I don't ever want to see you in the same kind of pain you were in at your worst. I know, too, that God is in control. He is there every step of the way, even when the steps are not easy. Take care Cindy!!

Mary and Lyle said...

Just wondering where you will have the spinal tap done...Rock Valley? I'll be praying that it goes well and that you won't have to have the problems and pain that have sometimes been associated with them.