Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Tuesday's thoughts

Time just continues to pass. Although I can't see myself growing stronger and getting better day by day if I step back and look back a few weeks then I can see that I am making progress. I went to the office for a little over an hour today to do some things and hope to start doing that regularly and very gradually get back into the swing of things again. What a process that is! I become overwhelmed so quickly right now but that hopefully will get better as time moves along. The kids start school two weeks from today and I think having more quiet time when I am home will help, too.

I have spent more time while struggling with health issues reading my Bible, especially the Psalms. The more I read through them the more comfort there is to be found. Today I was really struck by Psalm 139 and have read through it over and over. What beauty and comfort the Lord provides to us through the struggles David endured. I love verses 5 & 6: "You hem me in behind and before, and lay your hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high; I cannot attain it." Then verse 16: "Your eyes saw my unformed substance (in the womb); in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me when as yet there were none of them."

Such comfort the Lord provides us during our struggles! I read a book studying the life of David. Did you know that from the time that he was annointed until the time that he became king they estimate to be 20 years? A great deal of that time he was fleeing for his life from King Saul, living in caves and suffering in many ways. He was a "man after God's own heart" but he suffered a great deal, fell into sin including adultry and murder, yet had a heart for God and is mentioned throughout the Bible--the only man considered a man after God's own heart. What comfort to me as a Christian that God disciplines those He loves and that if I have a heart of repentance He will forgive me. God is so good, and I think I have recognized that even more during these difficult times then I have during other times in my life. What a blessing to see God working out His ways in my life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cindy,
Glad you find comfort in the Psalms. They have also given us comfort while waiting to see what God's plan is for Chic's life.
Just a little tidbit on being able to enjoy food a little more: I talked to a friend the other day that had two open heart surgeries within weeks. He got sick when he tried to eat and food tasted funny to him. When he mentioned that the nurse told him to drink a half glass of red wine before his meal. When he did that, he was able to keep food down and enjoy eating again. The nurse said it had something to do with the amount of anesthesia he had. I thought of you and your many, many surgeries is a short amount of time! It is worth a try!
Praying daily for your recovery,
Joyce

lace1070 said...

Cindy ~ still praying for you and full recovery. I love that Psalms verse ~ what a comfort to know that He is our protector. Hang in there friend ~ hugs ~ Lace