Friday, May 14, 2010

contentment

Contentment is a difficult thing to achieve. I am so happy that I am doing as well as I am but how easy it is to complain about the things that just aren't as good. Why is it so easy to focus 0n the negative?

The sky is blue and the sun is shining after a long stretch of cold, windy and rainy weather. It is delightful to feel the sun shining on my face. I had the opportunity to watch my kids march in the parade today, which was so fun! But then I get a little frustrated that I have to plug my ears as the bands go by and that I am sitting in a wheelchair because I can't walk as far as necessary to get to the parade route. It is the normal, every day things that I didn't think about at all "before" that I sometimes miss the most. And I have to admit that it is a little embarrassing to ride in the wheelchair. I am always noticed. People wonder why I am in a wheelchair when I obviously can walk. But I guess that is my pride getting in the way. It is what it is, and despite all the tough things, I really have been blessed. The Lord has given me more time on this earth to enjoy watching my kids with my husband. So I will focus on the positive and put my frustrations aside.

1 comment:

Carey said...

I'm so glad you got to go! And good for you for recognizing the need to strive for contentment. Just by the fact that you recognize it tells me that you don't complain as much as you think you do. =) Frankly, I think you're being pretty positive in a tough situation. Keep striving and praying!

Oh, and once again, don't compare your "old life" to your "new" with something so difficult. Sometimes at Tulip Festival healthy people could use a wheelchair. That place is exhausting. Totally! Just the fact that you could attend attests to something.

And way to go SCCS marching band!