Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Twenty-four hours later

The surgery is done.  I was under general anesthesia and as usual, they had challenges with getting an iv in.  Thankfully the anesthesiologist came in and he was able to numb an area in my wrist and then got it in without problems.

For a surgery, it was pretty easy.  It sounds awful to have the surgeon cut into my eye to get to the muscle behind it.  Once I was used to the idea, though, it wasn't so bad.  My eye is very red and blood shot and bleeds off and on.  Yesterday it was too swelled up and full of matter to really open much.  Today I can open it but it looks yucky. 

All that being said, this is probably going to be the easiest surgery to recover from it seems.  I just take ibuprofen sometimes because my eye is uncomfortable.  Because there are stitches in my eye it feels like it is full of sand. The other challenge is that I am seeing double when both eyes are open and after a while that wears on me.  The doctor said that it would take 2-4 weeks for that to clear up but I would imagine that each day will get better.

At this point I am not wearing the prism glasses.  Both doctors have said that I most likely will need to continue wearing them but the level of prism will not be nearly as strong as they were.  If I understood things correctly, the ophthalmologist suggested that it is possible that this muscle will continue to strengthen and in about 10 years I may need to repeat the surgery.  I hope not!  But if I can have 10 years of much improved headaches, it will be worth it.

To answer the question of the day--my head is feeling quite a bit better today.  Way to early to tell if this is due to the surgery.  Part of it may be that my left eye is shut about half the time anyway!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thx for the update.. glad to read that you are on the otherside of that eye surgery. Prayers are for you.

Dawn said...

SO glad to hear things went well and cautiously excited for the future for you! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Cindy!

Glad that your headaches are better! Hope they continue to improve and that your eye starts to feel better!

Love, Robin

Mary and Lyle said...

How are you doing by now? Thinking of you every day! Hope the surgery is successful!!