Saturday, October 15, 2011

Saturday. . . and surgery again?

I have been having some abdominal pain and started noticing it more the middle of this week.  After some procrastination and more tenderness on Friday, I had my sister Renae (who is/was a nurse) check out my incision.  The scar on my abdomin is about 12 inches long, but the most recent surgery reopened about 8 inches of it.  Just above where the recent surgery was done the scar extends about 3 inches and those few inches have been opened multiple times.  Just where the new scar begins adjoining that 3 inches I have a firm spot that extends to the left a little bit.  It is probably as wide as three of my fingers going up and down the incision and as wide my my pointer finger from tip to first knuckle.  Anyway, she thought right away that it felt like a hernia and told me to get to a doctor.  I then went to a local doctor and had him check it out.  He said right away after looking and probing that it is probably an incisional hernia. 

I then called the general surgeon that did the most recent surgery and they scheduled an apointment for Monday morning.  It sounds likely that I will need surgery to repair it sometime.  A minor surgery, but another surgery.  I knew that something was wrong with it and it has become more apparent as time goes by.  My fear has been that I would have another bowel obstruction if the intestine had attached to the incision or something.  However, the doctor didn't think that the bowel is involved, which was a relief to me.  So I will see what the general surgeon has to say, but it is looking like another surgery is in my future.

Prior to seeing this doctor, I did make an appointment which is in about two weeks to have my shunt adjusted again at the local neurosurgeon.  I have been functioning okay but still don't feel so great.  At this point it seems that the pressure is slightly low so my hope is that he will adjust the shunt just one notch closed.  I really wonder if I can get back to where I was this summer when I was headache free, but it doesn't seem like it will happen this fall with the barometric pressure bouncing like a ball.  I am really struggling with exhaustion, too.  Perhaps if I am overdraining and that is changed I will begin increasing in endurance.  But another sugery isn't going to help that again.  :(

No comments: