Saturday, March 15, 2014

Another day

So it turns out I am scheduled for another surgery. . . . .

Kyle and I met the ophthalmologist on Thursday first thing in the morning.  He did some testing and concurred with the Headache Clinic that my headaches would improve with surgery.  They will cut through the left side of the left eye in the white area.  back behind the white area is a muscle that they will cut, retract 9 mm and attach again.  It is scheduled for April 14 (I think--I'm not by a calendar).  It is going to require anesthesia but is a relatively short 20 minute same day surgery.  The recovery should take around three days.  Simple.

My heart is rebelling against another surgery, though!  I so just don't want to deal with again!  Simple surgery, simple recovery, simple, simple, simple.  Compared to brain surgery this is nothing.  I think it is just the thought of it!  It is two years this month that I was last in the hospital and had a surgery.  This isn't really what I had in mind to "celebrate" the milestone.

Okay, I am really whining and that will get me no where.  I am thankful that another solution has been found.  As we have reflected on all the surgeries that I have had, we believe that the chiari surgery and getting the shunt were necessary at the time.  We don't know if this will eliminate the headaches and the doctors were quick to say that although it should help a lot they couldn't guarantee anything.  My body seems to be a mystery with very odd or unique problems.  Honestly I am not a hypochondriac or a person that craves medical procedures and hospital visits.  They seem to come knocking on my door over and over, though.

For now I am patching my left eye as much as possible.  One full day without it and I am pretty miserable by night time.  I hate going out in public with it patched, though, so that is a quandary.  Going back and forth several times can cause a bigger headache as well so I will see how things go.  :)  One day at a time!


2 comments:

Dawn said...

We'll certainly be praying for you! Hoping that even if the surgery isn't a "miracle cure", that it does give you some relief from the headaches. (((HUGS))

Anonymous said...

Cindy, Did you need a smile? Hope you don't take offence! Although it is nothing compared to what you are experiencing. I can identify a bit with this eye thing. Back during a pregnancy, and very near delivery time, I experienced terrible dizzness and was told, my vision was off ??mm's and to cover one eye and see if it helped. Well, it did, but what really helped was delivering a baby! :) Truely! Mary was especially welcomed! :) Have you thought about that "cure"? Love and prayers for a successful surgery and good vision!