Wednesday, October 29, 2008

The MRI is done!

Brett, my wonderful brother-in-law-took me in to Mercy hospital this morning at 6:00 to check in for my mri. I must look pretty bad because they looked at me and really bustled to get me checked in, had the iv put in (on the first try!) and the anesthesiologist came in quickly after. He also must have thought I didn't look very good because he told the nurses to get me ready right away and we would just get it done. I was scheduled to actually have it done at 8:00 but I think it was done much earlier. He gave me some drugs and I don't remember anything again until after the mri was done. He also let me take one of my new pain pills right before he gave me his drugs so that I would wake up with that. The combination of his drugs and mine made me feel less pain then I have for a while, which was quite a relief. So the mri went well, which was a huge answer to our prayers. We were concerned that even with the sedation that my head would be sensitive to the noise and I would wake up in pain.

Brett and Karleen took very good care of me last night. Sometimes after I travel a little now, my neck muscles begin spasming which makes my neck hurt and my headache worse. They got me a heating pad and then later helped me get to bed. Karleen checked on me a few times through the night. Sometimes when I start a new pain medication I can have side effects, especially at night. I can become disoriented and confused or have problems sleeping or ocassionally halucinations. This time I just had a hard time sleeping so I drifted in and out. I take unisom at night anyways because I can't sleep well with the pain. So I am hoping that perhaps tonight my body will be more accustomed to this drug and allow me to sleep.

Normally I haven't taken pain medication regularly but just when the pain has become intolerable. Late yesterday morning it suddenly became very strong so the doctor prescribed something I haven't had before. So far I have been taking as often as it is allowing because the pain is pretty strong. It isn't taking it away but it is making it tolerable.

Kyle sent the mri to Dr Heffez, the neurosurgeon, overnight so he will have it tomorrow. He does surgery on Thursday but we are really hoping that he will have an opportunity to read the mri's on Thursday or Friday.

We covet your prayers. Specifically, we are praying that Dr Heffez will read the mri's quickly and be able to determine the cause of my problem. We pray that he will contact us quickly and that the surgery or procedure will be scheduled soon. Meanwhile, we are praying that the pain will go down a to a more tolerable level and/or this new pain med will continue making the headache tolerable. I am running out of options both orally and by iv and shot. Please also pray for strength and grace for my family. This has been difficult for me but sometimes I think it is even harder for Kyle and the kids.

We have just decided to email the link to this blog out to friends and family and hope that it will help with communication . Kyle and I as well as a couple of family members will try to keep this up to date as we can. We appreciate so many people supporting us in so many ways and especially covet your prayers.
Cindy

4 comments:

Joyce Sipma said...

Cindy,
I have been praying daily for your pain to be under control and for the doctors to see what is causing you all this pain. I have also lifted prayers for Kyle & your family. We miss you here at work! You have a lot of customers, friends & fellow State Farm people that call us asking about you. You have a very large prayer group & people that care about you!
Take Care~
Love,
Joyce

Frank Bulk said...

Please know that we're praying daily for you , Kyle, and the family. Let us know if we can help the family out, even in the most minor way.

The Bulk family

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for this blog. We are so concerned, we remember you often in prayer, but we hate to bother you with questions of updates. This is a great way to respond to the people who are interested and care. Love to you both, and also to your kids and others of your family who are caring for you!
Pastor Cam and Millie

Mary and Lyle said...

Hey Cindy,

Our family is in prayer for you! We really pray that you may get news from Dr. Heffez very soon and that a surgery may be scheduled. We hope that it is a comfort to know how many people are thinking of you. We pray for God's grace for each new day for you and also for Kyle and the kids.

Love, Mary and Lyle and kids